Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School for the Environment
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
1. 2009-2014. Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, State Key Laboratory of Tropical
Oceanography, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2. 2005-2009. B.S. in Marine Science, College of Ocean and Earth Sciences,
My major research interest is marine optics, including:
1. Ocean color remote sensing .
2. Optical properties of sea water.
1. 2014-Present: PostDoc Research Fellow University of Massachusetts Boston
1. Investigation of the optical properties of suspended particles in South China Sea.
2. Light absorption and scattering by spherical phytoplankton: model and its preliminary
3. The response of the bio-optical properties of seawater to the mesoscale oceanographic
eddy in northern South China Sea.
4. Optical characteristics of sea water in typical upwelling areas over the Northern South
China Sea and its indications for marine ecosystem.
5. Estimation of phytoplankton size structure from bio-optical measurements.
6. Development of instrument for optical oceanography: absorption analyzer device for
colored dissolved organic material (CDOM).
7. Field Campaign Experiences: South China Sea Opening Research Cruises (September
2010 (26days), August 2011 (32days), October 2012 (30days), August 2013 (33days)),
Eastern Indian Ocean Integrated Scientific Investigation Cruise (spring 2011 (52days)). NOAA VIIRS Cruise (November 2014 (10days))
REFERRED JOURNAL ARTICLES:
1. Junfang Lin, Wenxi Cao, Guifeng Wang, Wen Zhou, Zhaohua Sun. (2014) Inversion of
optical properties in optically complex coastal upwelling waters. Continental Shelf
2. Junfang Lin, Wenxi Cao, Wen Zhou, Zhaohua Sun, Zhantang Xu, Guifen Wang, Shuibo
Hu. (2014) Novel method for quantifying the cell size of marine phytoplankton based on
optical measurements. Optics Express, 22(9):10467-10476.
3. Junfang Lin, Wenxi Cao, Guifen Wang, Shuibo Hu. (2014) Satellite-observed variability
of phytoplankton size classes associated with a cold eddy in the South China Sea.
Marine Pollution Bulletin, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.03.052.
4. Junfang Lin, Wenxi Cao, Guifeng Wang, Shuibo Hu. (2013) Approach for determining
the contributions of phytoplankton, colored organic material, and nonalgal particles to
the total spectral absorption in marine waters. Applied Optics, 52(18):4249-4257.
5. Junfang Lin, Wenxi Cao, Wen Zhou, Shuibo Hu, Guifeng Wang, Zhaohua Sun,
Zhantang Xu, Qingjun Song. (2013) A bio-optical inversion model to retrieve absorption
contributions and phytoplankton size structure from total minus water spectral absorption
using genetic algorithm. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 31(5):970-978.
6. Junfang Lin, Zhaohua Sun, Wenxi Cao, Shuibo Hu, Zhantang Xu. (2013) Construction
and application of an onboard absorption analyzer device for CDOM. Spectroscopy and
Spectral Analysis, 33(04):1141-1145. (In Chinese)
7. Shuibo Hu, Wenxi Cao, Junfang Lin, Yuezhong Yang, Guifen Wang, Wen Zhou. (2013)
Spectral absorption properties of colored dissolved organic matter along 6
N transect oftropical eastern Indian Ocean. Journal of Tropical Oceanography, 32(4):13-21. (In
8. Zhaohua Sun, Wen Zhou, Zhantang Xu, Haibin Ye, Chaoyu Yang, Junfang Lin, Shuibo
Hu, Yuezhong Yang, Cai Li, Wenxi Cao. (2011) Progress in Teflon AF LWCC/LCW
applications. Spectroscopy and Spectral Analysis, 31(11):2881-2885. (In Chinese)
9. Wenjing Zhao, Guoqing Wang, Wenxi Cao, Tingwei Cui, Guifeng Wang, Junfang Lin,
Ling Sun, Wen Zhou, Zhaohua Sun, Zhantang Xu. (2013) Assessment of SeaWiFS,
MODIS and MERIS ocean color products in the South China Sea. International Journal
of Remote Sensing. In press.