Dr. Zhongping Lee
School for the Environment
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd, Boston, MA 02125
1994 PhD University of South Florida/Marine Science Dept./Oceanography
1987 MSc Ocean University of China/Physics Dept./Laser application
1984 BSc Sichuan University/Physics Dept.
2011.9-present Professor, University of Massachusetts at Boston
2008.7-2011.8 Research Professor/Mississippi State University
2002.4-2008.6 Oceanographer/ Naval Research Lab
1995-2002.3 Research Associate/Marine Science Dept./University of South Florida
1994-1995 Postdoctoral/Marine Science Dept./University of South Florida
Radiative transfer in natural waters;
Retrieving of water quality parameters in deep- and shallow-water environments;
Generation, evaluation, and application of ocean products from ocean color;
Ecosystems and their relationships with climate.
Associate Editor, Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, October 2008 – present
Topical Editor, Applied Optics, July 2004 – June 2008
Chair, International Ocean-Color Algorithm Working Group, supported by the IOCCG, 2003-2006
NASA Science Team: GEO-CAPE
NASA Panel Reviewer
ESA CoastColor team member
Korea GOCI project member
Conference Chair/Committee Member: “Ocean Optics XXI, Glasgow, October, 2012”, “Ocean Optics XX, Alaska, September, 2010, ” “SPIE Asia Pacific Remote Sensing, New Caledonia, November 2008,” “Coastal Ocean Remote Sensing, San Diego, 26-30 August 2007,” “Asia-Pacific Remote Sensing Symposium, Goa, India, November, 2006,” “Remote Sensing of Coastal Waters and Substrates, Ocean Sciences, Honolulu, USA, February, 2006,” “Active and Passive Remote Sensing of the Oceans, Honolulu, USA 2004,” and “Hyperspectral Remote Sensing of the Ocean, Sendai, Japan2000.”
Lecturer: IOCCG ocean-color remote sensing summer course, July 4 – 7, 2012, France; Aug 10- 14, 2009, Germany.
American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Optical Society of America (OSA)
American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
NRL Special Act Award 2007
NRL Alan Berman Publication Award 2004, 2008
NASA Certificate of Appreciation 2011
NASA Research Group Award 2010
EDITED REPORT (BOOK)
IOCCG Report 5, Remote Sensing of Inherent Optical Properties: Fundamentals, Tests of Algorithms, and Applications, Lee, Z. P. (ed.), GKSS, September, 2006.
Lee, Z. P. and K. L. Carder, “Hyperspectral remote sensing,” in Remote Sensing of Coastal Aquatic Environments, eds. Richard L. Miller, Carlos E. Del Castillo, Brent A. McKee, Kluwer academic,2004.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (since 2011)
1. Lee, Z.-P., C. Hu, S.L. Shang, K. P. Du, M. Lewis, R. Arnone, R. Brewin, “Penetration of UV- Visible solar light in the global oceans: Insights from ocean color remote sensing,” J. Geophys. Res., 118, 1–15, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20308, 2013. [View PDF]
2. Lee, Z.P., N. Pahlevan, Y.-H. Ahn, S. Greb, D. O’Donnell, “A robust approach to directly measure water-leaving radiance in the field”, Applied Optics, 52(8), 1693-1701, 2013. [View PDF]
3. Westberry, T., E. Boss, Z.-P. Lee, “Influence of Raman scattering on ocean color inversion models,”Appl. Opt., 52(22), 5552-5561.
4. Barnes, B. B., C. Hu, B. A. Schaeffer, Z. Lee, D. A. Palandro, and J. C. Lehrter (2013). MODIS- derived spatiotemporal water clarity patterns in optically shallow Florida Keys waters: a new approach to remove bottom contamination. Remote Sens. Environ., 134:377-391.
5. Hu, C., L. Feng, and Z. Lee (2013). Uncertainties of SeaWiFS and MODIS remote sensing reflectance: Implications from clear water measurements. Remote Sens. Environ., 133:163-182.
6. Le, C., C. Hu, J. Cannizzaro, D. English, F. Muller-Karger, and Z. Lee (2013). Evaluation of chlorophyll-a remote sensing algorithms for an optically complex estuary. Remote Sens. Environ.129: 75-89.
7. Mishra, S., D. R. Mishra, and Z.-P. Lee, “Bio-Optical Inversion in Highly Turbid and Cyanobacteria Dominated Waters,” IEEE Trans. on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. PP (99), 1-14, 2013.
8. Mishra, S., D. R. Mishra, and Z.-P. Lee, and C. Tucker, “Quantifying Cyanobacterial Phycocyanin Concentration in Turbid Productive Waters: A Quasi-Analytical Approach,” Remote Sens. Env., Vol. 133, 141-151, 2013.
9. Lee, Z.P., C. Hu, R. Arnone, Z. Liu, “Impact of sub-pixel variations on ocean color remote sensing products,” Optics Express, 20(19), 20844-20854, 2012.
10. Weeks, S., J. Werdell, B. Schaffelke, M. Canto, Z.-P. Lee, J. Wilding and G. Feldman, “Satellite- Derived Photic Depth on the Great Barrier Reef: Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Water Clarity”, Remote Sens., 4, 3781-3795; doi:10.3390/rs4123781, 2012.
11. Lee, Z.P., A. Weidemann, and R. Arnone, “Combined Effect of Reduced Band Number and Increased Bandwidth on Shallow Water Remote Sensing: The Case of WorldView 2,” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING, Vol. PP (99), 1-10, 2012.
12. Lee, Z.P., M. Jiang, C. Davis, N. Pahlevan, Y.-H. Ahn, R. Ma, “Impact of multiple satellite ocean color samplings in a day on assessing phytoplankton dynamics,” Ocean Science Journal,47(3):323-329, 2012.
13. Hu, C., L. Feng, Z.P. Lee, C. Davis, A. Mannino, C. McClain, and B. Franz, “Dynamic range and sensitivity requirements of satellite ocean color sensors: Learning from the past,” Appl. Opt, 51(25), 6045-6062, 2012.
14. R. Amin, R. Gould, W. Hou, R. Arnone, Z. Lee, “Optical algorithm for cloud shadow detection over water”, IEEE Geosciences and Remote Sensing, PP(99), 1-10, 2012.
15. Dong, Q, S. L. Shang, Z. P. Lee, “An algorithm to retrieve absorption coefficient of chromophoric issolved organic matter from ocean color,” Remote Sens. Env., 128, 259-267, 2012.
16. Hu, C, Z. P. Lee, B. Franz, “Chlorophyll a algorithms for oligotrophic oceans: A novel approach based on three-band reflectance difference,” JGR, Vol 117, C01011, 2012.
17. Dekker A.G., Phinn S.R., Anstee J. , Bissett P., Brando V.E. , Casey B., Fearns P., Hedley J., Klonowski, W., Lee Z.P., Lynch M., Lyons M., Mobley C. and Roelfsema C, 2011, “Inter- comparison of Shallow Water Bathymetry, Hydro-Optics, and Benthos Mapping Techniques in Australian and Caribbean Coastal Environments,” L&O Method, Vol. 9, 396-425, 2011.
18. Lee, Z. P., V. P. Lance, S. Shang, R. Vaillancourt, S. Freeman, B. Lubac, B. R. Hargreaves, C. Del Castillo, R. Miller, M. Twardowski, G. Wei, “An assessment of optical properties and primary production derived from remote sensing in the Southern Ocean (SO GasEx),” JGR-Oceans, C00F03, doi:10.1029/2010JC006747, 2011.
19. Lee, Z. P., Keping Du, Kenneth J. Voss, Giuseppe Zibordi,Bertrand Lubac, Robert Arnone, and Alan Weidemann, “An inherent-optical-property-centered approach to correct the angular effects in water-leaving radiance,” Appl Opt, 50, 3155-3167, 2011.
20. Martin A. Montes, James Churnside, Zhongping Lee, Richard Gould, Robert Arnone and Alan Weidemann, “Relationships between water attenuation coefficients derived from active and passive remote sensing: a case study from two coastal environments,” Appl Opt, 50(18), 2990-2999, 2011.
21. S. Shang, Q. Dong, Z.P. Lee, Y. Li, Y. Xie, and M. Behrenfeld, 2011, MODIS observed phytoplankton dynamics in the Taiwan Strait: an absorption-based analysis, Biogeosciences, 8, 841–850.
22. Lee, Z., & Huot, Y. (2014). On the non-closure of particle backscattering coefficient in oligotrophic oceans. Optics express, 22(23), 29223-29233. [View PDF]
23. Lee, Z., Shang, S., Du, K., Wei, J., & Arnone, R. (2014). Usable solar radiation and its attenuation in the upper water column. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 119(2), 1488-1497. [View PDF]
24. Lee, Z., Wei, J., Voss, K., Lewis, M., Bricaud, A., & Huot, Y. (2015). Hyperspectral absorption coefficient of “pure” seawater in the range of 350–550 nm inverted from remote sensing reflectance. Applied Optics, 54(3/20). [View PDF]
25. Lee, Z., Marra, J., Perry, M. J., & Kahru, M. (2015). Estimating oceanic primary productivity from ocean color remote sensing: A strategic assessment.Journal of Marine Systems, 149, 50-59. [View PDF]
ZhongPing Lee, Ph. D. Professor, SFE/UMB